So continuing on from yesterday, today I’m going to talk about Animal Kingdom!
My Must Do Rides/Attractions
The following are the attractions I never want to miss when I visit Animal Kingdom:
- Expedition Everest
- Kilimanjaro Safari
- Avatar Flight of Passage
- Kali River Rapids
Now Animal Kingdom doesn’t have as many rides as Magic Kingdom but it still has a lot for you to see and do. And since the opening of Avatar there is definitely more to spend your time on… and queuing is one of those things 🙈
Anyway, Expedition Everest is my favourite ride at Animal Kingdom, it may actually be my favourite Disney ride.. or one of them.. it’s way too hard to decide lol. It is definitely my favourite Disney Thrill Ride! There you go.. that narrows it down a little ha! If you love rollercoasters, you’ll love this ride. It may not be one for the little kids, and it definitely has a height restriction, but it is so much fun and has some surprises along the way!
Kilimanjaro Safari is a fantastic attraction that takes you through the animals of Animal Kingdom. It is like being on a safari in Africa, it’s amazing. If you love animals, you’ll love this attraction, this is definitely a great one for all ages. A good tip for this ride, go early in the morning or later in the evening, around dusk, because that is when the animals are at their most active.
Avatar Flight of Passage is one of Animal Kingdoms newest rides. It is probably the most amazing ride I have ever been on, and I haven’t spoke to anyone yet who doesn’t agree. The graphics and how realistic it feels is unbelievable. We were unable to get fast passes for our visit, and we queued 3 hours for this ride (and that was heading there pretty much as soon as the park opened), and we didn’t regret it at all. If you are staying on Disney property, you have 60 days prior to your arrival date to book your fast passes, so make sure that’s one you try and do as soon as it’s available to you so you don’t miss out! This along with Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safari are definitely the 3 rides I would choose to fast pass at Animal Kingdom.
I also love Kali River Rapids, it’s so much fun, especially if you are travelling in a group. But there is a chance you’ll get super wet so make sure it’s a warm day or you have a change of clothes!
Here are some of the top eats to try at Animal Kingdom:
- Korean BBQ Ribs are one of the best meals at this park, you can get them at Yak and Yeti
- Giant Mickey Cookie, definitely my favourite sweet treat at Animal Kingdom. Who doesn’t love a cookie? And it’s Mickey shaped which is my favourite kind of snack when at Disney!
- Double Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich from Tamu Tamu Refreshments is perfect if you can’t choose between a cookie or ice cream!
- There are some great restaurants in Animal Kingdom and also at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Animal Kingdom has some awesome shows… two of these being Festival of Lion King and Finding Nemo. There are various show times throughout the day, I would definitely recommend trying to catch at least one of them, especially if you have little ones with you!
They also have their evening entertainment which started at the end of 2017, Rivers of Light. It’s a show on the lake with lots of colour and fountains. I did enjoy this show however it’s not one that I would personally be too bothered about seeing again, especially if the queue times are shorter during this show if we visit at a busy time of year.
However what I did love is Tree of Life Awakenings. This is a projection and light show on the Tree of Life once it gets dark. I thought this was beautiful and really pretty to watch. Plus there’s always photographers to capture you with the tree when it’s looking so colourful (see picture at the top 😉 )
Tips & Tricks for Animal Kingdom
- Depending on the fast passes you are able to get, (i.e. if you can get them for Flight of Passage) then I’d say that one full day at Animal Kingdom is enough to do most of the park attractions
- If you weren’t able to fast pass FOP, maybe you’re staying off Disney property, then I would suggest going the Animal Kingdom on a day where you can rope drop and get into the queue for FOP straight away (make sure you choose a day where this isn’t early magic hours)
- Like I said in my post about MK, book your fast passes in advanced, check height restrictions, and you can bring snacks and drinks into the park
- If you have seen Rivers of Light or don’t really fancy it, then this can be a good time to go on some rides
- Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom offer After Hours on select dates. Check this out if you’re visiting at a super busy time of year such a Christmas. It is expensive but can mean that you definitely get to see and do everything you want. It’s also a good option if you’re looking at individual day tickets, this may be a better option
- Take time to look at the animals and see some of the performances that go on in certain areas of the park, they can be really cool and fun for the kids